AWOL and Discharge Upgrade

Discharge Upgrades

AWOL and Discharge Upgrade

May 29, 2024

I've been out for 30 years. My mom died of cancer and I went AWOL for 2 months. I turned myself in and was given an Other Than Honorable discharge. I really need medical benefits and am wandering if my discharge can be upgraded given the circumstances. Please help me.


It may be possible to get your discharge upgraded. If there was a legal error in the way you were discharged you could argue for an upgrade or you could argue that the circumstances of your mom's illness and death lessens the AWOL misconduct.

You can submit an online application to see if TVC can assist with your case, or at least send you resources to apply on your own.