Reasons to Request a Discharge Upgrade

Discharge Upgrades

Reasons to Request a Discharge Upgrade

November 27, 2023

I heard you can only get a discharge upgrade if you got hurt in-service or were sexually assaulted in-service. Is that right?


There are many possible bases for a discharge upgrade, so please apply by filing a DD 293 with the Discharge Review Board that serves your branch of service (for example, the Army Discharge Review Board or Navy Discharge Review Board). To see if you qualify for free legal representation for an upgrade, please complete the online intake at The Veterans Consortium. Even if you do not qualify for that program, you will be sent a helpful guide to assist you in preparing your own discharge upgrade case.