Where to Appeal

VA Claim Appeals

Where to Appeal

November 2, 2023

The VA Board denied my claim. They say it's a final decision, but I know they made a mistake! Is there anyone who can review their decision?


The U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) is the only court that can review and change a final decision from the Board of Veterans’ Appeals. You must file an appeal with CAVC if you want your case reviewed.

Once you submit your appeal, CAVC can look to see if the Board of Veterans’ Appeals made a mistake in:

  1. How they processed your case,
  2. How they looked at the facts of your case, and
  3. If they used the law correctly.

The CAVC currently has nine judges who review cases as well as some senior judges who can be asked to help if needed. For more information about the CAVC and how to file a notice of appeal, please visit the About CAVC page on their website.

The appeal process with CAVC can take a long time, but if your right about a mistake – it can be worth it. Good luck!