How to Appeal Your Veterans Benefits Denial to the Court
This classroom is here to help you through your appeal of the Board of Veterans' Appeals (BVA) decision that denied your claim for VA benefits. We hope that this will help you feel more confident about dealing with the legal system.
Is this classroom for you?
You may use this classroom if:
- You are a veteran, and
- You want to appeal your BVA denial for VA benefits
- You are helping a veteran, and
- The veteran wants to appeal his or her BVA denial for VA benefits
If you are a veteran and you have not yet filed a claim for VA benefits, this classroom is not for you. Continue here for more information about applying for VA benefits.
How to use this classroom
We have set up this classroom to reflect the most common path appeals from BVA decisions take. The numbered steps are in the order you will need to complete them.
How this classroom works
- We have created this classroom so you can walk through the appeal process step-by-step and keep track of your progress. The most common steps are in order and numbered. We have also included information about other, less common, things that might come up during your case. These steps are at the end of the list, and you can visit them any time.
- To navigate between sections of the classroom, you can either click on the name of the step you want to visit, or use the "next" and "previous" buttons at the bottom of the page.
- When you are done with a step, you can click on the gray checkmark next to it, which will turn the checkmark green. Next time you come back to the classroom, you can pick up where you left off.
- If you want to learn more about the process, you can read through the steps in the classroom without checking them off. If you check something off by mistake, just click on the checkmark again to un-check it.
Other important tips for using this guide
Sometimes lawyers and judges speak in “legalese.” If you come across a linked word you don’t understand, click on it. This will take you to the Glossary and a plain English meaning for the word.
This resource is generously supported by: