Selected Reserve GI Bill (MGIB-SR)

Student Debt

Selected Reserve GI Bill (MGIB-SR)

The VA has a GI Bill for certain Reserve members which offers up to 36 months of educational and training benefits. Read here for more information on the Selective Reserve GI Bill.
Photo credit: Esther Tuttle. A white woman, in profile, stands wearing a black graduation cap and gown

What is the Selected Reserve GI Bill?


The VA also provides a GI Bill for certain Reserve members. The program provides up to 36 months of educational or training benefits, which include payments of up to $384 per month. The "Selected Reserve" includes:

  • Army Reserve
  • Navy Reserve
  • Air Force Reserve
  • Marine Corps Reserve
  • Coast Guard Reserve
  • Army National Guard
  • Air National Guard



Who is eligible?

Each Selected Reserve determines eligibility. Eligibility usually ends on the day you leave the selected reserve. One exception to this rule is if you are mobilized (or recalled to active duty from your reserve status). In this case your eligibility may be extended for the amount of time you are mobilized PLUS four months. For example, if you are mobilized for 12 months, your eligibility period is extended for 16 months (12 months active duty plus 4 months.) So even if you leave the Reserves after mobilization, you may have additional eligibility to the MGIB-SR.

To qualify, you must:

  • Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after September 30, 1990.
  • Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT).
  • Have received a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement.
  • Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB - SR eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.



How do I apply?

To apply:

  • Get the DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility, when you become eligible for the program from your unit. Your unit will also code your eligibility into the DoD personnel system so VA may verify your eligibility.
  • Then make sure your selected program is approved for VA training. If you are unsure, VA will inform you and the school or company about the requirements.
  • Apply online by using the VA's online application process here  OR
  • Apply by mail by using VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits. Send it to the VA regional office that manages the State where you will train OR
  • Apply In person by going to a VA regional office near you and have a VA employee help you OR
  • Apply by working with with your school’s certifying official. This person is usually in the Registrar or Financial Aid office at the school.

If you have started training, take your application and your Notice of Basic Eligibility to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification. Send both of your completed forms (VA Form 22-1990 and VA Form 22-1999) to your local VA regional office.



More information  

For more detailed information about the Selected Reserve GI Bill, go to the VA's website on MGIB-SR program here.




Source URL: