Veterans Affairs Supported Housing (HUD-VASH)


Veterans Affairs Supported Housing (HUD-VASH)

Information on the Veterans Affairs Supported Housing program that helps homeless veterans find housing, pay rent, and get healthcare.
A close up of a silver key, hanging from another key in lock.


Veterans Affairs Supported Housing (HUD-VASH) is a program between the VA and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. HUD-VASH helps homeless veterans:


  • Find housing, 
  • Pay rent, and
  • Get access to healthcare services


Under this program, eligible veterans can receive a voucher that is used to pay a part of their monthly rent.



Eligibility and Application

VA determines eligibility for the HUD-VASH. Veterans can ask for assistance by calling the VA Homeless Program at (877) 424-3838. A HUD-VASH case manager will collect the Veteran’s personal information to see whether they are eligible. Generally, to be eligible for support through the HUD-VASH program, veterans must be:

  • VA healthcare eligible,  
  • Homeless or chronically homeless, and
  • Able to meet income restrictions for their local Public Housing Authority (PHA).

Veterans enrolled in HUD-VASH receive case management services from a HUD-VASH case manager. These services help veterans get and keep permanent housing. The Veteran must use case management services to receive a HUD-VASH housing voucher.


If a Veteran is found eligible, a HUD-VASH case manager will help the Veteran apply for a housing voucher and will refer the Veteran to the right PHA.



Obtaining housing

Eligible Veterans referred to a Public Housing Authority by the HUD-VASH program will need to meet additional guidelines before they get a voucher. Those include:

  • Meeting income restrictions for their local Public Housing Authority,
  • Not being a registered sexual offender or individual required to register as sexual offenders,
  • Not having a household member who is a registered sexual offender or individual required to register as sexual offenders, and 
  • Any other local Public Housing Authority requirements


Veterans meeting these guidelines will be issued a housing voucher and will receive help from the HUD-VASH case manager to find housing within a reasonable distance of a Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC). A “reasonable distance” usually means one-hour travel time from the VAMC, but this may vary from state to state.


Once housing is found, the HUD-VASH case manager will inspect the unit to make sure it is in good condition. Then, if the landlord is willing to enter into a lease, the Veteran will sign the lease on their own behalf and move into the apartment. The Veteran is responsible for paying their part of the rent and the rest will be paid by their HUD-VASH housing voucher.


Other conditions

The Veteran must continue HUD-VASH case management at the VAMC to stay eligible for housing vouchers under HUD-VASH. The Veteran must also continue to meet the VASH eligibility requirements and continue to meet the Public Housing Authority guidelines listed above.



Source URL: