Energy Assistance

Uniformed female parade

Energy Assistance

This article provides information and links to programs that can help low income households heat or cool their homes. It also includes potential federal tax credit information for anyone who has made qualifying energy efficient improvements to their home.

Each state runs a program that helps households with low incomes buy fuel for heating or cooling.  Often the same agency will help with things like weatherization and appliance replacement.  More states are now creating their own programs for making homes more energy efficient.  And the federal government is offering tax credits toward the same goals. 

Here are some links to help you track down energy assistance resources in your state.

  1. LIHEAP - Low-Income Home Energy Assistance
    Pays a portion of your heating or cooling bill to your utility provider (like the electric  company).  Apply early in the season.  Most states combine this with some type of emergency program, such as help with shut-offs.  Go here to find out where to apply for LIHEAP in your state.

  2. Weatherization
    All states finance energy-related repairs for low-income homeowners and renters. You will probably apply to the same state agency that runs the LIHEAP program.  It helps with such things as insulation and weather stripping, sometimes other energy-related repairs.  This may be combined with a program that does furnace, or other appliance, repairs. Go here to find out where to apply for weatherization in your state. (Scroll to the bottom of your state's program list.)

  3. Home Energy-Related Tax Credits
    The 2009 federal Recovery Act expanded two home energy tax credits: the non-business energy property credit and the residential energy efficient property credit. These are significant credits for anyone doing home renovations or buying new appliances or alternative energy equipment. Go to IRS site for details on home energy related tax credits.

Again, your state may be providing even more energy-related help for homeowners and renters. Your state government or legal services program's statewide website may be a good place to start.



Updated January 2018, January 2021