Chapter 32 – Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)
VEAP is available only to veterans who:
- elected to make VEAP contributions from their military pay
Under this program, the VA will match every $1 contributed with $2.
To qualify, you must have:
- Entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985
- Opened a contribution account before April 1, 1987
- Voluntarily contributed from $25 to $2700
- Completed your first period of service, AND
- Been discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable
If you are currently on active duty and want to get VEAP benefits, you must have at least 3 months of contributions available.
Apply by filling out a VA Form 22-1990. If you are not on active duty, send copy 4 (Member Copy) of your DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. If you are on active duty, your base Education Services Officer must approve your enrollment, and your Commanding Officer must verify your service.
If you have already started training, take your application and Member Copy of DD Form 214 to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999 Enrollment Certification (available only to school officials). Then send all the forms to the VA.
Last updated May 2018